[GRASS-user] Re: ArcGIS vs GRASS notes

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 2 14:00:46 EDT 2012

I can clarify some of the questions...
Arc has dropped Visual Basic in favor of python, in the current 10.x
series though python can only interact with tools in the toolbox (making
it quite similar to how GRASS works). Anything more directly using Arc
libs to build applications at the low level requires .Net.

Personally I like to explain it as GRASS fills the same role typically
filled by Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, Network Analyst and Imagery
Analyst (All add on extension to Arc). While not 100% equivalent it's
similar enough in feature set. I also tend to recommend a combo of QGIS
as the data prep/viewer/map maker and GRASS (not via plugin) as the
backend analysis workhorse.

For general Raster analysis that uses existing tools GRASS is a great
option. In the course I help with we've avoided it though because the
Location/Mapset concept throws too many students into confusion early
on. Instead we've followed a course similar to the Utah one on how to
use GDAL/Numpy, which gives students more of a feel for how to iterate
over raster data and learn to deal with it in chunks or rows to avoid
memory issues, so they better understand how raster algorithm
development works.
http://www.gis.usu.edu/~chrisg/python/

I need to talk with my Professor about getting our updated version online.

Thanks,
Alex