[GRASS-user] creating two new maps from one existing raster

Alexander Muriy amuriy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 06:52:58 PDT 2012

Hi, Janet and all.

> can anyone tell me how to make 2 rasters out of my 1 along a user specified
> line, or how to successfully digitize this?
> thank you,

I wrote a small shell script <r.split.line> for splitting the raster map
into parts with the line(s). Hope it will be useful.

./r.split.line -help

 Split raster into parts with vector line(s). Lines MUST intersect the
whole raster map.

Usage:
 r.split.line raster=name line=name [--verbose] [--quiet]

Flags:
 --v   Verbose module output
 --q   Quiet module output

Parameters:
  raster   Name of input raster map
    line   Name of vector map with line(s)

The script is attached.

Spearfish example (raster <elevation.10m>) with animation in GIF:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7835/rsplitline.gif