[GRASS-user] Setting default region - incorrect region set after inserting raster resolution

RichardC richtcooper at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 03:41:17 PST 2012

Hi,

I create a new LOCATION and wish to set the default region for global
coverage, i.e
90, -90, 180, -180 and, in the case of the current raster file, insert
0.000833 (degrees) as its resolution.

The resulting DEFAULT_WIND file contains the following:

proj:       3
zone:       0
north:      90N
south:      90S
*east:       179:59:58.3044W
west:       179:59:58.3044E*
cols:       432174
rows:       216086
e-w resol:  0:00:02.9988
n-s resol:  0:00:02.998806
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      360
rows3:      180
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 1:00:00.00942
n-s resol3: 1
t-b resol:  1

The outcome is that I need to click on the Map Display to display the file
and the coordinates at left edge of the window are 45E not 180W?

If a LOCATION is created with a raster resolution of '1' the default region
appears correct (see DEFAULT_WIND below) and I then modify raster resolution
with g.region under the PERMANENT MAPSET.

proj:       3
zone:       0
north:      90N
south:      90S
*east:       180E
west:       180W*
cols:       360
rows:       180
e-w resol:  1
n-s resol:  1
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      360
rows3:      180
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 1
n-s resol3: 1
t-b resol:  1

Is there a way of entering the raster resolution of 0.000833 degrees when
first creating the default region of a LOCATION?

Cheers,
Richard
GRASS 6.4.2
Linux Mint 13 (ubuntu precise)