[GRASS-user] Upon improving the GRASS-wiki

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Dec 29 14:25:12 PST 2012

Nikos Alexandris:

> > GRASSers,
> > In my humble opinion, GRASS-wiki pages can become quite in-attractive. Not
> > only due to lengthy and out-dated pages.  It is so, I guess, due to the
> > theme(?).

Markus:

> Well, I would distinguish between content and layout...: the Mediawiki
> version is one thing, page maintenance another.

True.  Content is the essence.  A clean look shouldn't be forgotten as well --
it might invite a reader/visitor to step in.

> Maybe some statistics help:
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Statistics

Yep, they do!

> Page statistics:
> - Content pages	467
> - Pages (All pages in the wiki, including talk pages, redirects, etc.) 1,609
> - Uploaded files	797

> Edit statistics
> - Page edits since GRASS-Wiki was set up	17,370
> - Average edits per page	10.80

> User statistics
> - Registered users	1,151
> - Active users (list of members) (Users who have performed an action
> in the last 30 days)	15
>   -> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ActiveUsers (last 30 days)

> To address the problem of outdated pages, the recommendation
> is to maintain especially the popular pages:
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:PopularPages

Right, I will try to focus on these.  I 'll just start on pages with which I
am familiar (content).

> So, all are kindly invited to contribute!

I'll add to that: 10 minutes each weekend from a few people would make a
significant difference.

Thanks, Nikos