[GRASS-user] winGRASS i.ortho.photo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 08:03:20 EST 2012

Markus N wrote:
> I am not sure but perhaps this may work?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

Xming is now payware, they stopped supporting the FOSS version ~4 years
ago after it was pointed out to them that if they used the GPL they had
to abide by its terms. The SF.net version is from 2007.

Cygwin's X Server is actually quite nice to use, but the installation is
a pain, and you have to edit a few things to simply add it to the taskbar's
clock-area with a double click, instead of starting it from a terminal and
dealing with xterms and window managers which you don't actually want or
need.

I jotted down some 1,2,3,.. instructions last time I set it up (including
seamless X11 tunneling over ssh with PuTTY), when I'm back at my desk I'll
dig them out. Once it's up and running that combo is really quite pleasant
and easy to use.

Hamish