[GRASS-user] NVIZ Wire Mesh

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 26 10:35:01 EST 2012

I would like to take the opportunity to share
a few observations I made with VTK/ParaView & Co.

All 3D data produced in GRASS
can be exported to VTK format (r.out.vtk,
r3.out.vtk, v.out.vtk), and visualized in VTK-
based viewers such as ParaView. There are some
limitations, though: text type attributes are not
supported in the VTK output format. If you need
that, then take a look at VisIt, which is also
an excellent VTK-based application that can
directly read 3D shapefiles with all attribute types.
However, you might run into problems with complex
(concave) polygons, as the VTK visualization model
does not seem to support those (forget about polygons
with holes).

There is also a branch of ParaView, called
ParaViewGeo, that explicitly supports GIS data
formats. It seems to always lag a little behind
the official version, but it might well be worth
a look.

Cheers,

Ben