[GRASS-user] 3D geological volume modeling (raster 3D): is it really possible ?

gene martin.laloux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:36:43 PDT 2012

I think that the problem is my understanding of  r.to.rast3elev

The problem
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4980189/sondages1.jpg

I define the 3D resolution (the lower limit of the formation is 540m and the
upper 1330m)
   g.region res=200 res3=200  t=1400  b=500 tbres=20
(2d/3d resolution of 200m, top at 1400m, bottom at 500m and a
top-bottom-resolution of 20m.

I create two support maps
   r.mapcalc 'one= 1'
   r.mapcalc 'two= 2'

and

r.to.rast3elev --o -l input=one,two elevation=bxltop,bxlbase output=bxl
If I export to vtk the result (with the boreholes) is (with the threshold
filter = 1)
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4980189/paraview1.jpg

The upper surface is correct, the lower not
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4980189/paraview2.jpg

and and I do not understand why