[GRASS-user] How to implement this kind of operation?

DavidRA theboss777 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 02:29:54 PDT 2012

Hi, here's the problem: I need to implement an operation in GRASS wich takes
an UNDEFINED number of raster layers and, for each position, takes the cell
of each raster, sort those values, makes some calculations and store the
result in the same position of the output raster.

I know how to do it with just two or three layers (simply, I use a r.mapcalc
sentence that takes care of the sorting issue with "IFs"), but now we don't
know how many inputs will be and even if we knew, with many layers the
mapcalc expressions would be inmense and awfully hard to generate. So, I
think there's no choice but to seek other alternatives, such as shell or
python scripting.

Now, the questions:

-Do you think that what I want to do is possible in GRASS?

-If so, how would approach this issue?

Thank you very much!