[GRASS-user] GRASS, ArcGIS, and Python incompatibilties

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sat Jun 30 13:47:58 PDT 2012

Don't you need to have the wxPython that GRASS was compiled with? And doesn't this wxPython have to match the Python version?

Michael

On Jun 29, 2012, at 1:49 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd seen this somewhere on the list, but I can't seem to find
>> it. If there is a posted answer, perhaps someone could point me to it.
>> Otherwise, hopefully, someone can offer an answer.
>>
>> I'm working with a colleague who has Windows 7 and ArcGIS installed. He
>> installed GRASS for Windows, but it won't launch due to some combination
>> of Python/wxPython incompatibility. We're pretty sure that it has to do
>> with the version of Python he had to install with ArcGIS. The ArcGIS
>> Python is 2.6, but GRASS for Windows comes with Python 2.7. Is there
>> some configuration setting to get around this?
>
> GRASS 7 should be able to use any of 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7. The Windows
> installer tries to force the use of a bundled version, so you may need
> to undo that first (remove it's bundled Python, unset any PYTHONHOME
> or PYTHONPATH variables, etc).
>
> --

C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University