[GRASS-user] ODBC driver in GRASS

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Thu Mar 8 07:47:25 EST 2012

Have posted a few weeks ago on a problem with the ODBC driver. Got some
answers and thanks a lot to all those who took their time to do so. Tried it
recently with a QGIS/GRASS installation via OSGeo4W with some hope, the
driver problem could be solved this way. But it wasn't.

If I try to conclude the answers and my experiences, the ODBC driver is not
working as it should:
(http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/ODBC-in-GRASS-td4377627.html#a4378582)
"... The ODBC driver was written on Linux, based on
http://www.unixodbc.org/. It was written before GRASS was ported to Windows.
The API is standard so that it should work on Windows, maybe some minor
modifications are necessary. Most probably some debugging and bugfixing has
to be done on Windows. "

Please correct me, if I should be wrong.
The question is, who could modificate the driver so it works also on Windows
? Have I to ask the in developers list ?

Another answer hinted on a missing compilation of the ODBC driver in
WinGRASS.
(http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Re-winGrass-ODBC-and-MS-Access-database-td4356636.html#a4358688).

Also in an earlier thread of Sharon in 4/2011 there were given some hints on
ask on the OSGeo4W list
(http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/winGrass-ODBC-and-Oracle-td3887239.html#a3887242).

So how to proceed ? GRASS appears to be able to process ODBC sources, but
obviously there are actually some restrictions ...

Thanks again for comments,
regards, Christine