[GRASS-user] Digitizing: Pango-CRITICAL Error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Mar 13 03:29:39 EDT 2012

Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Running -6.5svn build 51051 on Slackware. Using the GUI to digitize a
> rectangle as a new vector map. The console displays:
>
> (grassdata:17164): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_get_cursor_pos: assertion
> ndex >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed
>
>    Is this something that should concern me ... or the developers?

We can't always get rid of such warnings, as some of them are due to
the way that wxWidgets uses the underlying toolkit (GTK+ on Linux).

The GTK+ libraries (GTK, GDK, GLib and Pango) are known for being
rather "noisy" (i.e. generating many warning/error messages). This is
mainly to help developers identify bugs; having detected an error, the
libraries will normally try to recover from it, but in the case of
GRASS such bugs may be in the wxWidgets or wxPython layers rather than
in GRASS itself.

The messages should only be of concern to the user if they correlate
with the GUI failing to work.