[GRASS-user] G_realloc error with v.voronoi

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:37:33 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM, spiderplant0 <spiderplant0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a shapefile containing points that I want to make into a voronoi
> diagram. I import the shapefile into GRASS and then run v.voronoi, but I
> then get this error...
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Quantum GIS Wroclaw>v.voronoi --o input=pass1 at mapset1
> output=pass2
> Reading sites...
> Voronoi triangulation...
> Building topology for vector map <pass2>...
> Registering primitives...
> ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 15348004 bytes at struct_alloc.c:133
>
> Its quite a big file (1.5 million points, GRASS database file is 368MB,
> vector files total 112MB) so maybe its not a bug but what I'm trying to do
> is just too big (I read somewhere about a 2GByte limit for 32-bit apps or
> something like that).

Yes, 32bit apps have a memory limit of 2GB.

> The thing is I'm kind of stuck as I cant think how you could make a voronoi
> diagram by splitting the source into smaller files and trying to join them
> up again.
>
> What is GRASS's memory limit? Should I get more RAM? Would using Linux
> instead of Windows help. Can anyone think of things I can experiment with to
> reduce the amount of memory used?

Using Linux 64bit would help, granted that your 4GB RAM are
sufficient. You could also try GRASS 7 which uses much less memory for
vector data, particularly points. GRASS 7 for Windows should be
working again with the nightly build available tomorrow.

Markus M