[GRASS-user] Installing GRASS 6.4.2 on Ubuntu

spiderplant0 spiderplant0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:28:56 EDT 2012

I'm trying to install GRASS 6.4.2 on Ubuntu. However when I launch GRASS it
says it is version 6.4.1. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Using this URL...
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software.php
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software.php
I clicked on the 'Ubuntu' link in the 'Stable 6.4.2' section.
However the page it takes me to says it is an unstable version so I dont
know if this is a faulty link...
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable
In the package list it includes "6.4.1-2~oneiric1"
I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean version 6.4.1 to 6.4.2 are
included and if so is there a way to select which one to install?

I gave the above ago and following the instructions...
I uninstalled a previous version of GRASS and then I typed this into the the
console:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grass
grass

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit. I need a 64-bit version of GRASS for memory
reasons.
Thanks.