[GRASS-user] GeoPDF into GRASS?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu May 3 18:42:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 10:37:53AM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <neteler at osgeo.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Stephen Sefick <sas0025 at auburn.edu> wrote:
> > Is there a way to bring a GeoPDF into GRASS?
> > many thanks,
>
> While I have no experience with that format, I see that GDAL
> supports it:
> http://www.gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html
>
> So, r.in.gdal should do the job given a sufficiently new
> GDAL installation on your computer.

Unfortunately, at the moment the GDAL support for GeoPDF treats them entirely
as rasters --- the PDF data is converted to an image with the poppler library
and georeferenced using the data in the GeoPDF.  GDAL 2.0.0 and later support
rendering only part of the image (vector, base imagery, text) rather than
all at once, but even so vector data in the GeoPDF is  rendered into images.

It would be lovely if GeoPDF vector data could be extracted into Grass vectors,
but that's not possible through gdal yet, as far as I can tell.