[GRASS-user] newbie user

Levente Kovacs leventelist at gmail.com
Sun May 6 14:12:56 EDT 2012

Dear Grass fellows,

I am a new member of the list. I installed GRASS on my Debian box, and have no
clue how to continue. Please forgive me my ignorance.

With my father, as a family project, we develop a system, that sends
coordinates to a postgresql database. So far, I have some date in the
database.

My goal would be to SELECT some data from the database, and display it on a
map. Could anyone help me how to achieve this? (no, I don't want google maps).

I am an electrical engineer, and have no clue how does this Geographic stuff
work, so it would be nice to have some pointers in the documentation.

* How can I load a map into GRASS?
* BTW... where can I get a map from?
* How can I (from software) put a point in a map?
* How can I do some analyze stuff like distance from 2 points (on a GUI)
* other stuff will come, like mesh, etc.

Yes, I am prepared to read documents! I'm sorry if all these questions are
stupid, but I think GRASS is what I look for.

Thank you for your help.

--
Levente Kovacs
CTO, CSO