[GRASS-user] newbie user

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Sun May 6 14:50:20 EDT 2012

Hi Levente,

Welcome to the list :)

The questions you ask could be the subject of a GIS 1 course, especially
with GRASS. There are some good tutorials on getting started with GRASS -
check out here for example:
http://grass.fbk.eu/intro/firsttime.php

As to where you can get maps from... There are so many sources of
geographical data you'd have to specify a little bit more. To be honest,
though, if you're wanting to do the stuff that you describe manually, I
would actually be more inclined to point you toward QGIS. QGIS seems to be
easier to learn because its GUI is somewhat more... Graphical? ;) Plus, it
can connect to PostGIS (Postgres) *as well as* GRASS, so if you've got your
data in a GRASS database you can still access it from QGIS. Otherwise GRASS
does require a lot of understanding for regional settings, coordinate
systems, etc. - all learnable, but as an electrical engineer I would assume
it would be quite a bit of reading due to lacking background in that field
(which, of course, is understandable).

That said, the tutorial I linked is in pretty good, and GRASS is very
awesome, so if you think you'd rather work with it, more power to you. I'm
also a big fan.

Hope that helps!
Daniel

--

B.Sc. Daniel Lee
Geschäftsführung für Forschung und Entwicklung

Softwarecenter 3
35037 Marburg
Festnetz: +49 6421 379 6256
Mobil: +49 176 6127 7269