[GRASS-user] High-resolution agricultural land cover from satellite imagery

Luigi Ponti lponti at inbox.com
Tue May 15 04:20:40 EDT 2012

Dear 山田 康晴,

Thanks for your kind reply.

On 15/05/2012 03:18, 山田 康晴 wrote:
> I wonder why you want to use the Landsat TM data for the analysis of
> the high resolusion agricultural land cover.
The reason is that I found that paper I cited in my previous email
(Tatem et al. 2003;
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/260104/1/tatem_tgis.pdf>), which described a
way to increase resolution of land cover. I thought higher resolution
would be a good thing because of the highly fragmented agricultural
landscape I was targeting (the paper by Tatem and colleagues also
analyzes an area with small-scale agriculture in Greece).

> The Landsat TM, not ETM, has very long histry and is not the High-resolution
>  data as for both spatial and frequential points of view.
> There are so many research papers for the analysis on agricultural
> land cover.
I have accessed the grass-user mailing list seeking for a possible
GRASS-based approach to the task. Hence, I would be very glad if you
could point to a couple of the research papers you refer to.

> The "esa" or Italy scientists must have much information for your interest.
> Are you a scientist in Italy?
Yes, I am based in Italy and my background is mostly in applied ecology.
Of course people at ESA are expert in the field. My goal when accessing
this mailing list was to see if more GRASS-related info on the topic
would emerge that may benefit me and other GRASS users.

Kind regards and thank you,

Luigi