[GRASS-user] XY trace plots

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 10:30:46 EDT 2012

John wrote:
> I have an ascii file in .csv format containing x/y coordinates and z
> values. Z column data represents geophysical data collected along
> parallel lines (X and Y coordinates). I wish to display this data in a
> format similar to an XY trace plot (see image example), where z data
> recorded along individual traverses in the field can be displayed as a
> raster image of parallel lines showing both negative and positive
> both v.in.ascii  and v.in.lines with also use of v.build.polylines but
> the results only produce a single flat line. It is most likely I am not
> going the right way about this, hence my query. I have searched the mail
> archive in advance of this mail and found no relevant reference. Is it
> possible to produce such a display with GRASS?

the module has not been written yet, but you might try importing it with
r.in.xyz then interpolating with r.surf.nnbathy (addons) or one of the
other r.surf.* or v.surf.* modules.

maybe R has such a plotting tool already?

Hamish

ps- you might be interested in the v.in.p190 module from GRASS addons,
and the v.in.mbsys_fnv addon module which can read SEG-Y tracks via
MB-System. see   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Geophysics