[GRASS-user] How we can set attribute column name from ascii file heading in point mode creating vector from ascii file( v.in.ascii )

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 23 05:17:03 EDT 2012

On 23/05/12 11:07, SWAPAN GHOSH wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>     Any body can help me-"How we can set attribute column name from
> ascii file heading in point mode creating vector from ascii file(
> v.in.ascii )".

You cannot. You have to explicitely give name and type of column with
the columns= parameter. Especially the type of column is important (and
difficult to determine automatically) as it determines the type of
operations you can do on that data.

You can try to import the data into QGIS with the delimited text plugin,
save it as a shapefile and then import it into GRASS, but you have no
guarantee that the column type will be recognized correctly.

Moritz