[GRASS-user] v.dissolve renames the attribute column

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sun May 27 14:26:56 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM, spiderplant0 <spiderplant0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I run v.dissolve on my vector...
>
> *v.dissolve --o input=pass2 at mapset1 layer=1 column=fttcp output=pass3*
>
> The dissolving appears to work but the column name in the attribute table
> has changed from 'fttcp' to 'cat'. (I can tell by loading the GRASS vector
> into QGIS and viewing the attribute table).

Do you mean the column name of the input vector changed?

> Also, although the input has a dbf file, the output does not.

If the column is integer or not specified, there is no need for a new
attribute table because the new categories are either the same like
the old categories or identical to the values in <column>. You could
dun v.db.addtable in order to get an attribute table, but that does
not add any new information.

Markus M