[GRASS-user] Report from ongoing GRASS GIS Community Sprint in Prague

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon May 28 05:33:02 PDT 2012

On 05/28/2012 01:44 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 26/05/2012 20:59, Benjamin Ducke ha scritto:
>> Please report bugs relating to the SEXTANTE GRASS
>> interface to the SEXTANTE bug tracker:
>>
>> http://bugs.gvsigce.org
>>
>> After logging in, switch the selection under
>> "Project:" (upper right page area) to "SEXTANTE":
>>
>> http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_report_bugs
>>
>> The QGIS client code is just one of several GIS bindings
>> that SEXTANTE supports, but any problems related
>> to calling GRASS modules from SEXTANTE must be
>> fixed in the shared Java code base.
> Wrong (no java here): http://hub.qgis.org/projects/sextante/issues
> That is the bugtracker for the gvSIG edition.
> I know it's confusing: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5353
> Thanks a lot.

SEXTANTE and gvSIG CE share a bug tracker
at http://bugs.gvsigce.org, a decision that
was made together with Victor Olaya a while
ago:

http://sextantegis.blogspot.de/2011/12/important-notice-for-gvsig-users.html

There is no such thing as a "gvSIG edition"
of SEXTANTE. SEXTANTE is a GIS-independent
library of processing functions written in Java.
Only the gvSIG bindings are gvSIG-specific code.

The GRASS GIS interface was written (in
large parts by myself!) in _Java_ and implemented
in the SEXTANTE _Java_ core libraries. It is _not_
QGIS-specific C++ code. I have spent many months
getting the SEXTANTE GRASS GIS interface into
good shape for _all_ host GIS, including QGIS.

There are now two different bug trackers
that track duplicate issues which have
to be fixed in the Java code base, _not_
the QGIS client code! I have already seen
several entries in the QGIS bug tracker
relating to GRASS, that are already reported
and being worked on at bugs.gvsigce.org.
The same is true for the R and SAGA backends,
both of which are also covered in the official
bug tracker.

Again: SEXTANTE is GIS-independent
and only bugs that refer to the QGIS side
(i.e. the specific bindings for that platform)
should be reported using the QGIS bug tracker.
Bugs that related to running GRASS/SAGA/R from within
SEXTANTE are GIS-independent and should thus be
worked on in one central place.

Of course, you are free to open as many additional
bug trackers, as you like, but this will result
in duplicate efforts, wasted time and resources,
and undermine all the work that has already been
done.

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke