[GRASS-user] adding a datum to the GRASS database

Ali Swanson swanson.ali at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:05:31 PST 2012

Hi all -
I'm brand new to GRASS (though have basic familiarity with ArcInfo).  I
work in a datum that apparently isn't contained in the basic GRASS library
-- from what I've uncovered searching this list & the general web, I need
to add my datum by going to the $GISBASE/etc/datum.table and appending this
text:

The Arc 1960 datum; source: EPSG database
arc60 "Arc 1960" clark80 dx=-160 dy=-6 dz=-302

However, I have *no* idea how to find this.  Using both my Mac Finder as
well as my very rudimentary bash skills, I navigated to the
GRASS/6.4/Modules/*etc*/ folder, but see only a filed called xtnmenu.dat
(which I don't know how to open).

Can anyone provide some very basic instructions for how to do this?

Thanks so much!

ali