[GRASS-user] Removing spurious features on vector map

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 10 14:11:44 PDT 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Alexander Muriy wrote:

> Rich, it's an editing hell...

   But, a break from listing to campaigning politicians. :-) Both are rather
painful to endure, but I'll be finished with the editing well before the
elections.

> Maybe try to use <v.select> to select points that lie on boundaries and
> then remove them?

   That may not work because there are still extraneous points not on a
boundary.

   Part of the problem, I think, is that whoever digitized these maps was
thinking ESRI: the results are used for digital cartography, not spatial
analyses. Ergo, section and township lines are frequently multiple segments
rather than a single line, and I'll bet the digitizing direction is not
constant.

   Fortunately, I need these only to approximately locate sampling locations
based on the hydrology map and paper maps from the client. As long as I get
the locations on a stream the exact coordinates are not important for this
project.

Thanks, Alexander,

Rich