[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] grass wiki - subpages

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 04:23:58 PDT 2012

Hi all,

On 16 October 2012 12:20, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> 2012/10/13 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I have enabled subpages [1] in our mediawiki, eg.
>>>
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI/Map_Swipe
>>
>> you can put also spaces around slash, it's seems to be more readable
>> for me as the title of the page. On the other hand URL is not so nice.
>>
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns/GRASS_7/imagery
>>
>> vs.
>>
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns_/_GRASS_7_/_imagery
>>
>> What you would prefer?
>
> To me the white spaces look terrible :) ... and ruin the nice urls.
>
> Markus

...and without slashes the page title is harder to read for me.

In any case, I think that is good to have subpage feature available,
so thank you Martin. But I would prefer to use categories as default
option for organization. Even the mediawiki description of subpages
[1] says that:

Subpages are useful for organising information hierarchically. On the
other hand, subpages tend to have a long name that is hard to
remember, so it may be more user-friendly to use them as little as
possible. You can also organize pages with the category feature, which
is more suitable for creating a hierarchical network of information.

The main question for me is for what we want to use subpages?

(Sorry for this basic question but I'm not much familiar with mediawiki.)

Vaclav

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Subpages#Use_of_subpages