[GRASS-user] r.basin: specifying closing point by geographic coordinates

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:12:10 PDT 2012

Hi Rich,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   I have geographic coordinates for monitoring locations near the mouthes
> of
> streams. Can I apply r.basin to each individual basin without using the
> r.extract[ed] coordinates?
>

> As a general remark, you can always give a try with the coordinates that
you already have, because it can happen that those exactly match the
extracted river network, even if it is unlikely. By the way, i've never
tested the script using lat/lon coordinates, but i suppose that you can get
some of the parameters in a unit derived from degrees, which is not
correct, so you need to use metric coordinates in order to get a suitable
result. BTW, if you are willing to make a test on it and send (maybe
privately) to me the results, I'll appreciate. Thus I'll update the
documentation accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

madi

--