[GRASS-user] Dam Failure & mapping of flood risk downstream

Thomas Adams thomas.adams at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 25 08:57:00 PDT 2012

Laurent,

Dambreak analysis is very complex, requiring a lot of in-channel
cross-section or bathymetric data and over-bank DEM data, as well as the
use of an unsteady hydraulic flow model such as the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, HEC-RAS model, which has this capability.

However, there are simplified techniques that can approximate detailed
analyses, such as:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hsdl.org%2F%3Fview%26did%3D8227&ei=rV-JUJGSGYjO0QHEw4BI&usg=AFQjCNHIGNVpLU5UZZ9ZuTfhi-tySFIs8w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Famazon.nws.noaa.gov%2Farticles%2FHRL_Pubs_PDF_May12_2009%2FSeann_Reed%2FValidation_of_GeoSMPDBK_2011_07_22_submit_r2.pdf&ei=BWGJUNODNY6u0AHGlIDICQ&usg=AFQjCNGa3OsBOBVnYlWPKqsOgnBQKKN5Wg

Regards,
Tom

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM, laurent celati <
lcelati at latitude-geosystems.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I have to simulate an artificial dam failure & mapping of flood risk
> downstream. I have already generate watershed file thanks to r.watershed.
>
> Now i want to mapping and calculate flood risk downstream (water level /
> volume /cubature) from a few available informations like charge,flow,etc.
>
> Could you throw light for me please? If you know other tools and algorithms
> that can help me in my study, don't hesitate.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> With kind regards.
>

> --

Thomas E Adams