[GRASS-user] [off-topic] Problem in compile rgdal on Lion

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 31 20:33:48 PDT 2012

Yes, not quite the right list, but I think you're out of luck anyways.  R defines the compile flags and other details to use, and it's hard to override them.  I gave up and used an old Mac with Snow Leopard to compile.

The problem is that Lion Xcode does not include GCC any more.  clang is the main compiler, and R doesn't like it.  There is a llvm-gcc that emulates the behavior of gcc, but R finds cc which is a symlink to clang (but configure scripts still identify it as gcc).

I have rgdal on my framework download page, but it's a little old.  I tend to forget about it, but I can update my rgdal if you can wait a bit.  (hmm, maybe my rgdal doesn't work with your custom R?)

If you really need to compile your own rgdal, one thing I haven't tried is creating a symlink to llvm-gcc and putting it in your PATH.  I would NOT put it in /usr/local/bin, because that could interfere with software that does work with clang from the cc symlink.  Maybe something like:

mkdir ~/binllvm
ln -s /usr/bin/llvm-gcc ~/binllvm/cc
ln -s /usr/bin/llvm-g++ ~/binllvm/c++
export PATH="~/binllvm:$PATH"

then compile/install rgdal in the same terminal window you ran the export.