[GRASS-user] Fwd: Re: ppa for grass 7 Ubuntu Quantal

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Apr 24 14:24:01 PDT 2013

>> * sometimes, there are changes in upstream (in the day to
>> day coding) that do not correspond anymore with the package
>> snapshot taken a a certain point. Thus, you need to disable
>> some patches. If not, you would need to create new patches on
>> nearly daily basis.
>
> you are right, the patches may be a problem here, but the patches
> are not so many that you'd have to change them very often, maybe
> once every six months. And there is a semi-automatic way to
> update them. (make sure the devscripts package is installed;
> there's a semi-automatic way to do everything in debian
> packaging.., or maybe 4 semi-automatic ways to do everying... :)
> you might try #debian-mentors on the OFTC irc network for
> for definitive advice on the latest trends there.

> Probably between 6.4 and 7svn the patches will need refreshing
> for sure, or disable some of them.
That's what I usually do because the rest above is just too complicated.
at least for me.

>> The best would be to have 2 upstream repos in git:
>>
>> * debian files for 6.3.x
>> * debian files for 7.0.x
>
> We (Frankie, me, DebianGIS,..) talked about that before, the
> result of that discussion was that Debian git repo should be
> for current official packaging efforts, not a sandbox for future
> development. So no experimental branch there for 7 until 7 is
> released and the formal packaging effort begins.
OK, sure. that's your policy and I can understand.

> But of course
> it's not a big deal in git where things are, you can host that
> at the ppa as you like. But if people want a grass7 binary
> buildbot it'll need some gardening from time to time.
right. the more we are the higher the probability that we can keep it
running!

And this offers, as M. Neteler pointed out, more possibilities for
discovering bugs.

> I do not know if it is possible to just checkout one subdirectory
> from git. So far I haven't been able to do it. (we don't need
Me neither. maybe someone else can help?

>>> Instructions are in the src:debian/README.debian file
>>> in the
>>
>> does not exist in
>> git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-grass/grass/debian
>
> ..the rest of my quote read:
>>> ... in the src:debian/README.debian file in the
>>> GRASS source code
>
> see
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/debian/README.debian
>

>>> The whole (re)package building exercise should be
>>> possible with a simple 2-10 line script.
>>
>> What for a script are you referring to?
>
> one that is yet to be written :) just something to download the
> latest rules, apply whatever changes are needed with 'sed -i'
> &/or whatever, then run debuild or whatever the ppa buildbot
> needs to do.
That's the thing called recipe. LP does it already!

Otherwise, set up  & bzr dailydeb & pbuilder.
Fairly easy.

Thanks for your attention.
Happy to see that things start moving.
If you attend one of these FOSS4G meetups, please advertise the GRASS
packaging.

How do you think about the addons?

shall we have a grass-addons package?

Best,