[GRASS-user] NDVI analyses with Landsat 8

Huub Munstege hmunstege at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 09:43:35 PDT 2013

Hello Nikos,

thx for the swift reply. I'll check out the options you mentioned but at first sight I noticed that 'i.vi' tool is not available for me ( I'am on 6.4.3-rc, from the AUR package in Archlinux). I.vi is not a command in the 'standard' Grass trunk. Neither is it available as an add-on.
Some more explanation as you asked: previous Landsat 7 images we analyzed with a simple raster calculation with the following formula:

float(Band-4 - Band-3) / (Band-4 + Band-3).

But as you already noticed the bands and ranges have changed under Landsat 8. Various combinations of bands (4,5 and 8) give a result that is at best not so clear cut as the analysis done with L-7. The "bluntly subtraction with 0.12" is based on on a quick scan of the obtained result. Areas without vegetation in our project area should give values in the range between -0.05 - 0. The result of the combination of the 5 and 4 bands in the above formula gives values that are aprroximately 0.12 higher. Therefore the blunt and in-elegant subtraction which is definitely wrong. But it gives us for the time being a better deistinction between cultivated irrigation schemes and their surroundings.
Maybe I am simply too impatient and too eager to work with the new fresh data from L-8. Undoubtedly soon, Grass and the other software will incorporate specific modules that will be tailored to the L-8 sensors.

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Huub

Huub Munstege
BPE 2836