[GRASS-user] Processing Cartosat 1 DEM using GRASS GIS - Reg.

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 26 07:56:50 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Jaisen Nedumpala <jaisuvyas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am Jaisen Nedumpala. While I was searching for the processing methods of
> Cartosat 1 DEM (available from Bhuvan - Link1 below),

Is there a sample file available? In which raster format do they deliver
the data?

However, the import is likely possible with r.in.gdal.
Even easier:

- Start GRASS
- from the welcome screen:
   http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/helptext.html
  start the Location wizard
- it allow you to create a GRASS Location (i.e. the project directory)
  directly from the Cartosat 1 DEM file
- Let the DEM be imported.

Within the GRASS Session:

> I have seen a reply in ResearchGate (Link2 below). Exactly I was searching for,
> HowTos on:
> 1) Contour generation

See
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/r.contour.html

> 2) Drainage network analysis

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R.stream.*

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/r.watershed.html
Note that no sink filling is needed for r.watershed.

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/r.volume.html

> 4) Watershed analysis etc using Cartosat 1 DEM.

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/r.watershed.html

Note that no sink filling is needed.

> Could you
> please help me? Or Can anybody translate the details in Link2 to GRASS /
> QGIS Language? Thanks in advance. :)

I think that you execute the GRASS modules and you are done.
Not too much procedure needed :)

Hope this helps,
Markus