[GRASS-user] Fill area between isolines?

Levente Juhász jlevente89 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 08:44:30 PDT 2013

Hi Timmie,

I do not know what your data could look like, but plese see my thoughts
inline:

2013/3/29 Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de>

> Hello user list,
> I have a question filling the area between isolines by the values of the
> isolines (without interpolation):
>

> I have a vector with isolines of which the values define certain
> properties of the area (e.g. cost factor).

If your isolines are not disjointed I would suggest to make areas from them
(v.type + v.centroids).

> How can I create an area that fills the area between these lines and to
> which the same value as the last adjacent line is attached (all points
> from one line to the other have the same cost factor)?
>
> I understand that in this case a interpolation is not required.

Once you have the areas, you should rasterize (v.to.rast) each of them for
example with the parameter use=val. It will give a raster output with the
cell values 1 if the the cells were in the specific area that you
rasterized. If you do this for all of your "iso-areas" you'll have a raster
layer for each of areas that are enclosed by an isoline.
After all I would use r.mapcalc and summarize all of your created layers.
The cells with the highest value will be equal of the area that had the
highes value, and you can guess all other categories...

I don't know wether it works with your data or not. That was just my first
thouth when I've read your question.

Levente