[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal for importing categorical ArcGIS binary rasters

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 02:30:28 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 20/02/14 22:14, Markus Metz wrote:
>>
>> I would not replace a working gdal version with a probably not working
>> gdal version. Your gdalinfo reported a raster attribute table, not
>> mine. You could double-check again if your gdalinfo still finds a
>> raster attribute table, then import with r.in.gdal.
>

> Out of curiosity: if a table contains several columns which one(s) is/are
> imported and in what form do they appear in GRASS (I don't have a file here
> to test myself) ?

Each column has a dedicated usage. For "name" usage, the column is
treated as category labels. For any of the color usages, the column is
treated as corresponding red, green, or blue color. See also the gdal
documentation [0]. Currently, r.out.gdal exports category labels or
color rules to a raster attribute table with the new -t flag, and
r.in.gdal automatically imports any information it finds.

Markus M

[0] http://www.gdal.org/gdal_8h.html#a27bf786b965d5227da1acc2a4cab69a1