[GRASS-user] ps.map can't find python imaging library

Terry Duell tduell at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 30 17:54:51 PDT 2014

Hello All,

My apologies if this post turns up twice.
After initially sending it and not seeing it turn up here on the mailing
list, it occurred to me that I may have cancelled my subscription to the
list some time ago (I have been away from GIS work for a while), so I
re-subscribed, and tried again.

I recently installed GRASS 6.4.3, from the Fedora repository
(grass-6.4.3-5.fc20.x86_64).
Starting Cartographic Composer (ps.map), I get the message "Python Imaging
Library is not available. 'Preview' functionality won't work".
Fedora supplies python-pillow, and I have
python-pillow-2.2.1-3.fc20.x86_64 installed.
I have found that the PIL is installed at
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/PIL, and have put that in my path to no
avail.
Is there another or different python imaging library required?
If not, is this some other known issue?

Anyone have any advice how best to fix this?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell