[GRASS-user] region settings and wx display

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Thu Apr 16 08:49:27 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015, at 02:36 AM, Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> Or, better, "promote" somehow the "Show comp. region" feature, set by
> default or else.
>
> As far as I can tell, (using mostly the command line), appart from the
> d.mon related modules in GRASS6.x, which I forgot to
> mention and Moritz brought in the discussion, there is nothing new in
> GRASS dealing with the region.

Yes, I understand now that this is not a change between grass6 and
grass7, but the difference between d.mon and gis.m/wx0. The only change
now is that d.mon in grass7 produces a wx window that behaves like the
old gis.m with respect to regions. Changing the computational region on
the command line no longer changes the displayed region in the window,
or vice versa. That was the case with d.mon in grass6 (I've just
confirmed it), but given the comments here I suppose I was an outlier in
not using the gis.m interface.

If that's the case then perhaps no new messages or pop-ups are
necessary, as the main target (me) is now well informed on the issue!

Incidentally, I just tried out the gis.m interface for the first time in
years. I never used it, as my installation always ended up broken in one
way or another, with frequent crashes. Just now, using the default
Debian installation of grass6.4, gis.m couldn't open until I manually
moved some icon gifs into /usr/lib/grass64/etc/gui/icons/grass, and then
the map-chooser dialog failed to open. I know it does work for other
people, and have used it successfully in workshops run on Suse machines,
so I assume I just have very bad luck with this particular interface.

Thanks all, for your patience!

Best,

Tyler