[GRASS-user] Addon installation without explicitly starting GRASS

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:20:42 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos <pmav99 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to run a script that uses a GRASS addon (r.damflood) without
>> explicitly starting GRASS. Unfortunately GRASS couldn't find the addon.
>> After I added "~/.grass7/addons/bin" to PATH the script run without
>> problems. Is there any reason why grass.script.init() only adds
>> <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/python/script/setup.py#L165> "~/.grass7/addons/script"
>> to the path?
>>

> Hi, this looks like a bug. Looking at he source code, I don't understand
> why there is a special condition for Windows. Are you willing and able to
> explore this more on different platforms and submit an issue with a patch?
>
> Vaclav

Hi Vaclav,

I am afraid that I don't have access to a windows machine. I only use
Linux. Furthermore. after reading your message, I also think that there are
two separate issues at hand here:

1. whether "~/.grass7/addons/bin" should be added to the PATH (e.g. os.path.
join(addon_base, 'bin') )
2. whether the respective directories should be added to PATH on windows.

With regard to the first one, according to my own experience "bin" should
be added.
I don't have an opinion WRT to the second one.

Panos