[GRASS-user] Choosing mapset from command line

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 06:33:18 PST 2015

Hi,

I tried to access my machine with GRASS GIS via SSH and wanted to get the
text based welcome screen of GRASS 7 (RC in Ubuntu) to select a mapset.
Usually I am starting the GUI selection menu so I am not familiar with the
text based startup. I thought that the command "grass70 -gtext" should
launch the text-based menu however here I get:

radinger at grassgis:~$ grass70 -gtext

Cleaning up temporary files...

Starting GRASS GIS...

WARNING: It appears that the X Windows system is not active.

A graphical based user interface is not supported.

Switching to text based interface mode.

Hit RETURN to continue

With -gtext I already indicated that I don't want to start a graphical
based user interface so I am wondering about the warning. With hitting
return I automatically start with the last mapset I used (like the command
"grass70 -text) and don't get to a text based menu to e.g. create and start
into a new mapset of a given location.

What I am doing wrong?

Of course I can create and switch to a new the mapset with g.mapset as an
alternative.

/Johannes