[GRASS-user] v.net tools with polygons

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:39:36 PST 2015

Hi list,

I'm beginning to learn and use the v.net tools in Grass in order to
evaluate the distance from several crop fields to a processing plant.

I've successfully build the road network with the end nodes but now I'm in
doubt. My starting points in the analysis are crop fields, which are
polygons. So what is the best (or most common) practice?

1) Use the field centroids as starting nodes?
2) Add field polygon boundaries to the network and run v.net.distance
backwards (from mill to fields)?
3) Some other option?

Also, if I'm to add the field boundaries to the network, how would I go
about it? Should I first v.patch the field with the roads layer and then
run v.net?

Thanks
Daniel