[GRASS-user] Is Watershed image segmentation program in GRASS GIS?

Uttam Kumar uttamsinha09 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:47:32 PST 2015

Hi All,

Is watershed image segmentation program or a similar module available in
GRASS GIS?

I understand that we have r.watershed, i.segment and r.grow in GRASS GIS.
But I do not know which one best suits my problem.

The problem is:

I have two layers of raster data -
1.) a gradient image (obtained by applying a 3 x 3 sobel filter on a water
index using r.mapcalc), and
2.) a seed image of 2 classes labelled as "1" and "2" and remaining pixels
as "0".

I want to use the seed image and the gradient image (which shows direction
of change in intensity) information to perform segmentation using the
watershed algorithm and label all "0" pixels as either 1 or 2.

r.watershed does not use watershed segmentation algorithm. i.segment is
something close but I am not sure.

Please suggest.

Any comment is appreciated.

Uttam.