[GRASS-user] Automatic extraction of valley features

Jean-Roc Morreale jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Thu Nov 12 02:09:48 PST 2015

Hi,

I would like to know how to extract a valley feature from a DEM as a
polygon : the wanted result isn't equal to a watershed or a sub-basin,
it is the cumulated shape of the two slopes and the bottom where the
stream is located.

As I do not master the geomorphological vocabulary, here is a image
showing the desired outcome :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sJg8zddqSPUk9BcTdncVRNNHc

I'm using GRASS7, I've tried r.watershed and several r.stream.* modules
but my lack of knowledge in this domain is blocking. The elevation data
used is the EU-DEM.

Regards,
Jean-Roc