[GRASS-user] location/mapset naming restrictions

Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos pmav99 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:28:05 PST 2015

Hi all,

Are there any restrictions to the location/mapset names?

I just found out that if you use a numeric mapset (e.g. 2014_123) you have
to use single quotes in mapcalc expressions. e.g the following example will
raise an error:

r.mapcalc expression="foo=R1 at 2014_123"

results in:

syntax error, unexpected INTEGER, expecting VARNAME or NAME

It took me sometime to figure it out,* and in retrospect you can imply this
from the r.mapcalc manual, but I couldn't find any specific reference for
naming restrictions. So, are there any?

with kind regards,
Panos

* actually Nikos Alexandris did...