[GRASS-user] GRASS 7 shell environment variables and prompt settings

César Augusto Ramírez Franco caesarivs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 08:55:46 PST 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm using Grass 7.0.1 under Ubuntu 14.04 with the ubuntugis-unstable PPA
enabled, I have a .grass.bashrc file where I define some shell environment
variables according to the manual [1]:

$ cat .grass.bashrc
export GRASS_PAGER=more

However, when I issue g.list rast inside Grass I get the list of raster
maps in a less-type viewer.

> echo $GRASS_PAGER
pager

And I have to manually set the 'GRASS_PAGER' to 'more' each time I start
Grass, this was working in 6.4 but stopped working in 7.0.1, if there's a
new way of achieving this, then the manual is outdated.

Also, I'd like to know how to modify the prompt inside Grass, in 6.4 I
added a PS1 variable with my custom prompt (with colors and a new line
before the '>') but it doesn't seem to work in 7.0.1, what would be the
best way to get my prompt to be like this:

GRASS 7.0.1 (UTM18N):~
> g.list type=raster

Thanks in advance

[1]:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/variables.html#setting-shell-environment-variables

--
*César Augusto Ramírez Franco*
Laboratorio de Sistemas Complejos Naturales