[GRASS-user] Query vector type has problems

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Oct 7 11:28:03 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> However, here again, even when I leave aside the discussion above, there is
> a typo:
>
> G_warning(_("Input vector map <%s> is 3D"), opt.from->answer);
> G_warning(_("Input vector map <%s> is 3D"), opt.to->answer);
>
> The second should say "Output...".

No, it i correct.

> Now you have to change that in both branches.

No.
Please read manual or source code.

> And that's the problem. It would be better to refine it first in
> trunk and then backport it all together.

Please don't change it before inspecting the source code.
You refer to "output" which I didn't touch.

> This happens quite often - list of commits containing these two pairs of
> commits (change, its immediate backport, fix of change, its immediate
> backport).

Do you refer to me??
Just check my backports and my error rate on it. I do a lot of this
dirty work and I don't think that I have a high error rate here.

> Sure we make mistakes, but this is unnecessary clutter.

Wait.
Before writing all this
- read the source code first
- check why I made the change. See also other people having the same issue.
- help to fix the real problem (#2734) rather than writing unrelated
comments here.

> Moreover,
> then we claim how many commits was done in release branch between releases,
> but in fact significant portion of it are just these fixes of fixes which
> should have been backported after the code matured in trunk (my claim is
> that even simple code needs maturation).

Generally agreed. But in this case not.

best,
Markus

PS: IMHO this code discussion should rather happen in grass-dev than grass-user.