[GRASS-user] Performing a Maximum Likelihood Supervised classification with a single band

umberto.minora umberto.minora at unimi.it
Tue Oct 13 06:35:46 PDT 2015

Ciao Veronica,

thanks for the hint and sorry for the late feedback.
I'd like to use GRASS so I might go for the "r.texture" solution.
Anyway, I did not get how to use it for my scope.
First of all, as I already have training areas, i want to use them in a
Supervised classification rather than an unsupervised one (as ISODATA).
Second, I am only interested in using one band for the classification,
which was the reason I could not use "i.maxlik".
Now, as I understand, using "r.texture" will generate images with
textural features from my single band raster map. I got that I could use
these as the needed input for the "i.maxlik", but I did not get what
"r.texture" will give me, and if that is going to be a good statistic
sample for the Supervised. Moreover, which method would you suggest?
I am pretty new to this function, so I hope you (or anyone else) could
give me a hand to better understand it.
Thanks in advance!