[GRASS-user] temporal dataset : register maps from other mapsets

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 17 03:32:12 PDT 2016

Hi Martin,
by default the temporal databases are mapset specific. In addition the
temporal framework does not allow to register maps from other mapsets in a
space time dataset. Hence space time datasets are mapset specific as well.

The reason for this are permission considerations. Several temporal
commands that modify space time datasets will also modify the registered
map layers. Changing the time stamps for layers will always trigger the
modification of map layer metadata (time stamp files in the map layer
directories). If you do not have write permissions on the mapset from which
you have registered the maps, then all these commands will fail and maybe
the temporal database will have issues afterwards.

However, in "THEORY" you can set the database connection for each mapset to
point to a single database. Then you must set the TGIS_DISABLE_MAPSET_CHECK
environment variable, so that the temporal framework does allow that map
layers from different mapset can be registered in a single space time
dataset. I have not tested this and there are no gunittests  available yet
that check for this hidden feature.

Best regards
Soeren