[GRASS-user] v.import and v.proj errors

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue Aug 2 07:37:15 PDT 2016

 >as they are in mercator projection (epsg:3857) and I'm working in eu_laea

I assume eu_laea is epsg: 3035 (http://epsg.io/3035)?

if yes, epsg3035 is dedicated to the area of Europe.

is the generalized coastlines data for the whole world?

maybe world wide data in epsg:3857 (http://epsg.io/3857) can't be
reprojected into a epsg:3035 location without too much distortion?

my workflow in such cases where only a subregion of worldwide data is needed
: I use the clip mechanism of ogr2ogr [1] in order to clip out my region and
reproject only this clipped area.

HTH

[1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

-----