[GRASS-user] Grass: Finding depression from contour

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Dec 11 04:22:18 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 5:01 AM, Faisal Kabir <faisal.kabir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've labeled contour (DEM) map using d.vect. Now I would like to find the
> depression [contour with low elev value are inside the contour of higher
> elev] automatically. I can view it in the Map display window which is
> tedious as I've to zoom in and out for several times.
>
> Is there any method available in GRASS?

Yes: in r.fill.dir for example.

I have taken your question as motivation to add an example to the
manual page and updated it on the GRASS GIS Web server right away:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.fill.dir.html#examples

It shows how to run sink-filling and how to identify the filled areas.

Please note that filling depressions is not needed nor desired when
calculating watersheds with r.watershed in case that this is your
scope.

Best,
Markus

--