[GRASS-user] assistance needed in packaging GRASS for Mac

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Thu Dec 29 08:25:57 PST 2016

Thanks for responding Vincent,

I've used Fink and MacPorts previously (first time compiling GRAS for Mac on Fink in 2003). But I try to avoid them now because of past issues related to making GRASS binaries that anyone can install without compiling.

Are there are now ways to create such a portable binary package in MacPorts so that users could install it without installing MacPorts (or HomeBrew, Fink, etc.)?

I think what we need is:

1. Switch from the outdated PackageMaker.app to the current way of making Mac packages. This requires changes to the current binary bundling scripts.

2. Bundle all dependencies (including the current, separate frameworks) into the new package distribution so that everything needed is in the grass7.app

3. As part of 2, make sure that all dependencies are compiled outside of the /usr folders on the Mac to avoid SIP conflicts

4. To accomplish #2 and #3 for wxPython, we probably need to switch to wxPython 3 (or the new wxPython Phoenix it is working correctly). This would also permit compiling ALL GRASS 64 bit, alleviating additional issues.

5. Because of recent change to GRASS GUI and a bug in Mac system Python 2.7.10, it may be necessary to also bundle an updated Python (2.7.11 or higher) with the new grass7.app. This (and #2) would make the installation package significantly larger, but would avoid mismatched versions of Python and wxPython.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)