[GRASS-user] home directory for import files for grass 7.02 on linux

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 10:42:02 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Jim Maas <j.maas at uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> When I start grass and then attempt to import a vector or raster file, it
> begins looking in my ~/ directory.  It would be much more convenient if I
> could tell it to start looking in a subdirectory where I'm working.  Is
> there a setting somewhere to change where the "import raster data" file
> browser starts looking ? I'm thinking something analogous to a "home"
> directory?

The GUI dialog opens in the current working directory (result of `pwd` or
$PWD). It is the current working dir of GUI, i.e. the one which was current
when g.gui was started (e.g. automatically during start of GRASS GIS).

If you change dir in terminal, GUI doesn't see this (the process is
Independent). You can, however, change the working dir for GUI, e.g. by
typing cd into the GUI Command Console.

Let us know if this was helpful info.

Vaclav