[GRASS-user] (re)projection question

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:33:09 PST 2016

Hi Richard,

On 2016-01-21 at 11:22, Richard Nairn <richard at NairnConsulting.ca> wrote:
> As far as the projection question goes - When you create a new location
> it gives you several methods for defining the projections
>      Select EPSG code
>      Read projection from existing data file
>      Read projection from Well Known Text (prj) file
>      Selecting coordinate systems from list
>      Custom Proj.4 string
>      Create XY coordinate system
>
> One of those methods will get you set with your projection that you
> need.

Yes, but don't have any of things in that list, or if I do, I don't recognize them in the following information:

>> projection: Stereographic Oblique
>> longitude_of_projection_origin 40°W
>> latitude_of_projection_origin 70.5°N
>> false_easting -750
>> false_northing -1190
>> resolution: 25 km

Still, I think I've just solved it.  I create a new temp location, set it based on the lon,lat and rows,columns of the input, and then load the data:

g.mapset mapset=PERMANENT location=tmp_in
eval `r.in.xyz -g input='RU.csv' output=RU fs=","`
g.region n=$n s=$s e=$e w=$w t=$t b=$b rows=110 cols=60
r.in.xyz --v input='RU.csv' output=RU fs=","

Then, as you said, I've discovered r.proj to convert. It seems to work.

g.mapset location=main
r.proj input=RU location=RACMO_5km

Thanks,

  -k.