[GRASS-user] remove duplicate points

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:24:15 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Daniel Torres <nobeeakon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I would like to get the nodes of a grid, I have managed to get the nodes,
> but do not understand how to remove duplicate points. After running "v.clean
> [...] tool=rmdpl " I get the right number of points, however, in the
> database the number of features continues to be the same as before v.clean.
>
> The manual of v.clean says:
> "rmdupl: remove duplicate geometry features (pay attention to categories!)"
> Does that means that v.clean preserves features with different cat numbers?,

No, features with identical coordinates but different categories are
merged into one feature with multiple categories.

> and that one feature can have more than one attribute assigned in a single
> table?

Yes. If you don't need the categories, you can delete them with
v.category and afterwards add one single unique category to each
feature with v.category. The link to attributes gets lost of course.

HTH,

Markus M